Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Surrealism - n. 1: The youthful expression of dreamlike spontaneity which daily life conspires to repress. 2: A state of mind embracing unconscious, poetic juxtaposition which is eroded by responsibility. 3:You pursue the terrible beauties of fear and hope, your friends cannot help you...

There is a nineties puzzle computer game called Myst. The moment I started it I fell into this strange and beautiful world of floating mountains, haunting cathedrals, and foggy jungles...






Myst was probably one of the biggest influences on who I am today. It developed into a pretty good series, actually; and it's available as an iPod app if you fancy that sort of thing.

Anyways; I have an obsessive fascination for just about anything I don't understand; and as the point of surrealism is to never be understood in a realistic sense, I am drawn to it like a magnet. Because of this attraction to the odd, my friends now seem to have a fear of my iPod. Ever since they went through my pictures, they look away every time I unlock the screen (though this may also be due in part to my sadistic nature). Here are a few examples of the ones that aren't sadistic...




























Most of these pictures are classified as Neo-Surrealism; Surrealism made with Photoshop or drawn to look realistic. I like this kind because I feel like I'm actually watching the universe fall apart (which is a secret desire of mine.)

I sincerely apologize for the lack of organization of this... document. I go brain dead every time I sit down to write. (I need to stop using that homemade absinth in my drinks.)

I think I'd be much better at, and much more qualified to talk about events in my life than to write about these topics.

Cordially yours,
Drew


So next up shall be a story...

Also, a poll. Can you guess my age? (Neither Pandamonium nor Saruh is allowed to guess...)

2 comments:

  1. I suppose I'm the only besides yourself that isn't repulsed, but drawn to your sadistic imagery...

    ReplyDelete